Location: Salzburg, Austria
4.5 star based on 274 reviews
The hills are alive with The Original Sound of Music Tour in Salzburg. Enjoy a day trip visiting the breathtaking landscapes and locations where the famous musical, the Sound of Music, was filmed. The English-speaking guide not only shows you the highlights of the film ‘Sound of Music’ but also the historical and architectural landmarks in the city, as well as a part of the picturesque lake district.
* Comprehensive tour by bus/coach
* Hotel pickup included
* Popular choice with kids
* Choice of morning or afternoon departure
* Transport by air-conditioned coach
* Conducted in English
Relax and listen to the soundtrack or sing along to the famous songs and lyrics including My Favourite Things, Do-Re-Mi, Edelweiss, Climb Ev’ry Mountain, Sixteen Going on Seventeen, The Lonely Goatherd and of course the glorious title song The Sound of Music.
You will stop in Mondsee for approximately one hour where you will have free time to explore Mondsee Cathedral and the setting of the famous film wedding! You can also explore this beautiful Austrian town at leisure and we recommend stopping by Mrs Brown’s cafe to taste the best ‘crisp apple strudel’ in Mondsee!
Sound of Music Film Locations in Salzburg:
- Mirabell Gardens – The Mirabell Gardens were laid out in the 18th century. Maria and the children were seen dancing around the statue of Pegasus, the winged horse, and throughout the gardens singing ‘Do-Re-Mi’.
- Leopoldskron Castle – The front side of the castle was used as the Trapp family home, the children were boating on the Leopoldskron Lake and fell into the water. The Venetian room was copied from the castle and used as the ballroom.
- Hellbrunn Castle – This hunting castle was built in the early 17th century by Prince-Archbishop Markus Sittikus. In the gardens the glass pavillion was reconstructed for the pleasure of those fans still returning after 30 years.
- Nonnberg Abbey – Nonnberg Abbey is the oldest convent in the German speaking part of Europe. Maria was a novice there. The baron and Maria were married here in 1927. The scenes for the movie made here include the opening with the nuns going to Mass and Maria coming too late.
- St.Gilgen and Lake Wolfgang – Scenery shown at the beginning of the movie was filmed at Lake Fuschl on the way to St. Gilgen. Like the Mozart family, visitors from all over the world appreciate the beautiful village in the Salzkammergut.
- Wedding Church Mondsee – In Mondsee Cathedral the film wedding between Julie Andrews as Maria and Christopher Plummer as the Baron took place.
Departure Point: Tour departs from centrally located Salzburg hotels. If hotel details not advised at time of booking, tour departs from the bus terminal at Mirabellplatz (in front of St. Andrew’s Church).
Departure Time: Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, exact pickup time will be advised on reconfirmation.
Return Details: Tour concludes at Mirabellplatz (bus terminal)
For additional information and bookings GO HERE!
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!! We would highly recommend this tour. Our guide was wonderful, cheerful and very informative and she said she had only been doing this for a month!!
Reviewed by: Gregory S, United States of America