CNN International today announced the results of its Online Consumer Survey (OCS) on Travel and Tourism which reveals that Thailand was chosen as representing the best value for money for travellers in the Asia Pacific region. The survey conducted across CNN English websites had more than 5,000 respondents globally. Thailand came out as the best value in Asia-Pacific for respondents over China in second place and India in third.
The comprehensive survey also revealed that although times are tough, the recession hasn’t reduced people’s desire to travel. On the contrary — people are trading down, not trading out — but not compromising their experience. In addition, more business leaders are likely to travel over the next 12 months than in the past year.
* Overall the survey indicated that more people would travel for holiday over the next 12 months than last year, but 1 in 5 would make fewer trips
* 46% of business travellers in Asia Pacific claim the economic environment has had no impact on their business travel plans.
* 79% of Asia-Pac respondents feel they are likely to take a vacation in the region within the next 12 months. And the economic downturn isn’t affecting everyone’s travel plans. Asia-Pacific holidaymakers spent an average of just over US$4,000 on their last vacation, – ahead of the global average of $3,700.
* 71% of CNN’s audience of global travellers fly long-haul for leisure. Respondents take an average of 14 days vacation a year and holiday an average of three times a year.
Brand image and reputation also remains a critical factor for air travel, and survey respondents clearly feel that preferred, trusted airlines are able to command a premium. Respondents are also more likely to do fewer trips than look for cheaper hotels or discounted flights with budget airlines.
* 58% of Asia Pacific respondents are ‘willing to pay more to travel with my preferred airline’ (vs. 50% globally and just 41% of North American respondents)
* 61% of these Asia Pacific air travellers ‘prefer to fly with a trusted brand regardless of cost’. Furthermore, in difficult financial times, there is value for advertisers in targeting premium audiences.
* 83% of business travellers influence the choice of airlines and hotels when it comes to corporate travel.
* 40% of those who travel for work fly business or first class, make an average of five business trips per year and are away for an average of 19 days per year.
William Hsu, VP Advertising Sales, CNN International added “These results send a strong message to tourism boards that smart destination branding is critical for country differentiation and return on investment.”
The survey comes as the latest PAX research for the full year 2008 once again reconfirms CNN as the leading channel in its genre for reaching each of the 3 main PAX groups: Affluent Adults, Business Decision Makers and Top Management. Among the Top Management group CNN is the leading international channel regardless of genre, while CNN.com continues to generate substantially higher reach than all other measured media sites.
CNN Press Information Centre